Fri, Jan 31|
Conversation with Chris Suriano, NY State Education, Assistant Commissioner, Office of Special Education
Assistant Commissioner Suriano spoke to educators and school leaders, who came together from all over Western New York, to learn more about state policies regarding services for students with disabilities.
Time & Location
Jan 31, 2020, 8:30 AM – 11:30 PM
About the Event
Assistant Commissioner Suriano leads the state office that oversees local education agencies compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the operationalization of the state’s Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities, and many other state policies regarding the provision of services for students with disabilities. He spoke to educators and school leaders, who came together from all over Western New York, to learn more about state policies regarding services for students with disabilities.
Participants at this event had a chance to:
- Hear how the state's vision for students with disabilities aligns with the mission and vision of the Opportunities Collaborative.
- Learn about the special education supports and resources charter, parochial, and independent schools have access to at no cost from the state.
- Discuss how all schools can work towards implementing the goals of the Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities.
- Utilize strategies for working proactively with school districts to ensure that students with disabilities receive timely evaluations and services.
- Share areas of growth that charter, parochial, and independent schools can work with school districts to ensure better outcomes for students with disabilities.
- Highlight the great work happening with students with disabilities at your school.
- Strategize about how we can work together through Opportunities Collaborative towards these shared aims.